11 Quirky Truths About Being A Writer

After a decade or so of doing this writing thing, I’ve decided that writers are a unique lot. We’re kind of weird, wouldn’t you agree?

Recently I noticed some of my own quirks and thought I’d write them down.

But, certainly, these can’t just be truths about me, right? Certainly, you guys who write deal with the same stuff, right? I’m not the only one, am I?

You tell me if you’ve noticed the same things:

1. You always notice the typo AFTER you click send or publish.
  2. What you do is simple—write—but nobody really understands what you do.
  3. You have one word that you’ve written 8,000 times and never once spelled correctly on the first try.
  4. You’re routinely approached by friends and family to “read this [200 page manuscript] over and tell me what you think.”
  5. Seeing your name in print makes you a little giddy. Admit it.
  6. You have one crazy book idea so “out there” that you’re embarrassed to admit it.
  7. Nobody you know can type as fast as you.
  8. You don’t really know a lot about grammar, though you pretend to.
  9. When you read bad writing, you know it’s bad writing, though you usually can’t explain why.
  10. You still remember the first person who said you were a good writer.
  11. Half the time you spend “writing” is staring at a blank page or words you’ve already written.

I know there’s probably 100 of these that I’m just not thinking of right now, but that’s a good start.

What are some of your quirks as a writer?

1. It has to be said that before writers, we first must be mad. Though I don’t agree with point 8!
    I know I’m bad in grammar but I don’t pretend to, it is just that I don’t care

Liked by 5 people

May 22, 2015
  2. Reblogged this on oshriradhekrishnabole.

3. that is a very accurate list 🙂

4. Reblogged this on Cautious Realism and commented:
    After reading this list I’d say I resemble almost everything on it!

5. Winced at 6 (far out idea) and laughed at 7 (typing challenge). I can add:
    (1) I know I’m a writer because there’s no way on earth I’d go to a writers’ group to inspire me to write
    (2) Pretty much whatever I do I’m half writing up in my mind as I do it
    (3) And I welcome insomnia as it’s a chance to lie in bed re-organising new feature pieces

Liked by 5 people

May 22, 2015
    • Yes! Agree with all of those, especially #1.

May 22, 2015
    • It’s really bad when you are watching a movie everybody is raving about. I am thinking I write a better story than this one, and in my sleep too.

Liked by 3 people

6. Alison's Wonderland Recipes #

I hear that most writers hate the editing process, so maybe that could be #12! I never minded it, but I’m also a huge Grammar Nazi.

Liked by 2 people

May 22, 2015
    • Yeah, I don’t mind it either. Anything that makes me look better than I actually am!

Liked by 2 people

7. Stephen McDaniel #

Here’s a few more:
    1. Reluctance to even start writing because you don’t know what to say, and it’ll be crap anyway.
    2. Getting lost in the middle because, although you know the ending, you’ve forgotten how to get there.
    3. Being the fastest typist on the days you’re up and hitting on all cylinders, and typing fourteen mistakes a minute when your not sure where you’re going.
    4. Wondering why all those well-rounded characters start to seem like talking heads halfway through the book.
    5. Trying to incorporate all the great advice you’ve read and heard about writing, and realizing that there is just no way.

Liked by 5 people

• #3 is spot on.

Liked by 3 people

• vik #

Still wondering where to start from … or should just start writing and when i start writing all the character come at once and at sudden they just all vanish.

• SleepyDragon1320 #

Agree wholeheartedly with all of these!

8. Oh my goodness, this is so accurate! It made my morning! 🙂

9. Add these to your list:
    12.You cannot read to relax because you’ll be studying what the writer did if he/she is good.
    13. You read someone like Danielle Steele or Dan Brown and wonder what editor let this pass for publication.
    14. You have been planning a writing session all day. You sit down to write. Then you remember three dozen things that need to get done. And they have to be done right then.
    15. You always get great ideas in the shower when you’re getting ready for work. It’s either be late for work or loose that idea because you didn’t write it down. I’ve lost the most brilliant phrases because I had to choose.

Liked by 5 people

May 22, 2015
    • My clone gets a lot of writing ideas while in the shower. I’m thinking of buying him a diver’s slate so he can at least take notes.

Liked by 2 people

May 23, 2015
  10. I absolutely LOVE this post! It gave me a good laugh and it’s all so true =)

11. Reblogged this on Writing With Life In Mind and commented:
    Absolutely LOVED this post. It gave me a good laugh and yet it’s so accurate.

May 22, 2015
  12. except no. 7 and 4, everything fits me. especially no. 1,2 & 11….oh, it’s so ME! 😉

13. You just described my life! LOL

14. Great list! I really relate to numbers 2, 3, and 7. Another idea or two:
    – Stopping in the middle of a conversation with your friend to go write down an amazing story idea or bit of dialogue. (I do this WAY too much. Thank God my friends understand).
    – Being unable to finish a book because you want to scream at the author for putting in too much backstory, or making the MC a complete moron, or purposely slowing the pace of the book to add exposition.
    – Buying up every book on writing you can find, then never cracking a single one of them open. (Okay, maybe one or two).
    – Being the best editor for other writers then not knowing where to begin editing your own piece.
    – Everyone and their mother asking if they can read what you’re writing.

Liked by 4 people

May 22, 2015
  15. Number 11 is absolutely me!

16. Reblogged this on RANTS OF INTROSPECTION and commented:
    THIS.IS.ON.POINT.

May 22, 2015
  17. Thank God I’m not the only one in number 1. hahaha Thanks for posting this 🙂

May 22, 2015
  18. Fantastic list!! Love that you shared it.

May 22, 2015
  19. OMG, maybe I’m a writer and didn’t know it until now!

May 22, 2015
  20. Reblogged this on Jeanne Owens, author.

21. jacobemet #

Reblogged this on JacobEmet.

22. Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog and commented:
    Can YOU add to this list? 😀

Liked by 2 people

23. So incredibly true!

24. alienorajt #

No 13 is spot on! I would also like to add the following (which may well be just me – one of my siblings once said, in all seriousness, ‘Ali, has it ever occurred to you that you might be a bit Autistic?’):

1) Few social skills and a deep wish NOT to socialise when writing – in a world where being social on line is ever-more important.
    2) Seething with fury and envy when other (sometimes, lesser) writers get all the notice and plaudits because they are able to play the Tweeting/Sharing/Communing game better than I!
    3) Chuntering/moaning because Popularity seems to have replaced Quality in the creative arts. It’s not how you write/paint/compose; it’s who you know!
    4) Feeling afire with the passion and inspiration of actually writing – but coming close to nervous breakdown when Formatting (shudder) comes into the equation.
    5) Having the technological ability of a moulting rhea – and an equally vicious back kick at any laptop which DARES to get up both nostrils simultaneously.
    6) Feeling that one has to be endlessly NICE in order to be read.
    7) Being crabbed, pent, gloomy, whiskered, snooty, cold and isolated inside – though leaping into the air like a joyous whale (I am a fine figure of several women) when those little particles of creativity sleet through and land in one’s heart/mind/loins.
    8) Having the marketing skills of Jack the Ripper – and assuming that littering the metaphorical White Chapel of the Literary Establishment with the butchered corpses of your novels is going to attract readers!
    9) Having a healthy side plate of cynicism, satire and raucous laughter!

I could go on…

Liked by 3 people

May 23, 2015
  25. Typo’s; I always find a few after I’ve clicked ‘Publish’. 1) , 2), 8) and 10).

May 23, 2015
  26. I call #1 the moment of the “OhNoSecond”. But at least being a blogger means you can go in and fix it!

#12 — You delight in making up your own words.
    #13 — You spot errors in professionally published books.

Liked by 2 people

May 23, 2015
  27. Reblogged on Free Thinking Author.

28. Reblogged this on Free Thinking Author and commented:
    A very good article.

29. S #

Reblogged this on Confessions of a novelist.

May 23, 2015
  30. Number 11 is soooo me!

May 23, 2015
  31. Definitely number one!

May 23, 2015
  32. Hilarious and so true.

May 23, 2015
  33. I’m guilty of #3 and #11 I’m sad to say.

May 23, 2015
  34. 😀 😀 😀 You’ve been following me? How else would you know all this about me? 😛

Liked by 2 people

35. Tom #

I can identify with most of them. I would add that when you’re writing you get caught up in the story and lose track of time.

Liked by 2 people

36. SleepyDragon1320 #

Reblogged this on Sleepy Book Dragon and commented:
    Something that people note of me is that I accidentally stare at people when I don’t mean to. It’s either because I am lost in thought, thinking about writing, or because I am failing to be subtle in my attempt to observe an interesting individual who will be great as a character.
    Any habits you can add?

May 23, 2015
  37. Reblogged this on Varchaswa (Authorce).

May 23, 2015
  38. From this list, only 2, 5, and 6 are true for me, and that last one… Well, it’s not that the idea is crazy, just that I’m embarrassed to admit it anyway.

I actually DO know a lot about grammar, although not because I have a degree in English or anything like that. (I don’t think most universities even teach grammar; these days, I think they’re happy if the students use real words instead of writing papers that look like a string of Tweets.)

There was a time, not too many years ago, when I did have difficulty explaining WHY a bit of writing was bad. The trouble wasn’t that I didn’t know, but that I didn’t know how to convey that information to someone else. Working with other writers (I have a “day job” as a proofreader and editor) has taught me how to explain both the technical and the creative aspects of writing to someone else.

I’ve got at least one person who understands what I do: my twin, who is also my partner-in-writing. Friends, though, tend not to get it, unless they’re writers, too.

My number one quirk as a writer, I think, is that when I’m actively working on a story, I tend to be halfway into character viewpoint and DO NOT deal well with being interrupted or startled.

May 23, 2015
  39. Good list; I think most writers can relate to a few of these qualities. Here’s another one: you’ve written several hefty novels, but when called upon to add to the birthday card for someone you work with, you can’t come up with anything more original than “Happy BD! Celebrate!”

Liked by 2 people

May 23, 2015
  40. Yes all of these. Especially the first one. And the rotten spelling. Why oh why!! Thank God for predictive text.
    I once read a list of personality traits of drug addicts. Focus on things, make that thing the center of your life, prefer to do that thing above all others, and realized these were the traits of a successful writer. Creepy.

May 23, 2015
  41. Seven out of eleven! You might also add, “The thing you want most is also the thing you dread most: namely, people reading what you’ve written.”

Liked by 2 people

May 23, 2015
  42. I will re-write the same chapter Over and over again but not edit the rest of the manuscript until it is perfect.(by which point it has distorted so much you have to re-write the manuscript to fit.) #EditingIsTheHardestPart

Liked by 2 people

May 23, 2015
  43. Reblogged this on ldbush21.

44. Every single one of these applies to me. Oh gosh *hides in a corner* xD

May 24, 2015
  45. I have a lot of book ideas but I feel like they are just irrelevant maybe because my generation is so lazy and South Africans are the worst people to write to- we are lazy to read.

May 24, 2015
  46. if you had done this before, i would have loved it even much more and even more. But a nice shot.

May 24, 2015
  47. Reblogged this on A Father, Writer, and Logistics Wizard and commented:
    Certainly reminds me of myself, a lot.

May 24, 2015
  48. Reblogged this on thehipsavvy.

May 24, 2015
  49. Great list: Here’s my contribution:
    Not understanding what’s so hard about writing / Finding writing the easiest thing in the world, yet be critical of every word, and want to change each one you’ve written. Then when you’ve successfully switched your words for deeply original ones, start worrying and inspecting them again because wordflow may have diminished, and possibly a host of other problems.

May 25, 2015
  50. Really CooL Robert

May 25, 2015
  51. Shared your Beauty here https://www.pinterest.com/pin/278026976972689685/ Thanks Robert

May 25, 2015
  52. I know where you are coming from. I never reread my writing and wonder why there are so many mistakes.crazy ain’t it.

May 25, 2015
  53. OMG #8. I can never explain why or how it’s wrong but I know it is.

May 26, 2015
  54. Reblogged this on bedsoc.

May 26, 2015
  55. #1 every.time. Even after I’ve proofed it several times.

May 27, 2015
  56. Holy accurate! I can say that as a beginning writer, #11 is my life right now.

May 28, 2015
  57. Light-induced-Lygophilia #

Reblogged this on Ramifications Of Rampant Dogmas and commented:
    Haha! This is spot on. I definitely can relate to most of them.
    One I’d add is when I wake up after a reeally weird dream and write down everything because it could turn out to be THE book I’ve been waiting to write.
    Also, when you’ve finally thought of something brilliant and your mind is racing to put it all together, there is always that one person that comes in and says something and just like that, it’s gone.

May 29, 2015
  58. Yes! This is so accurate!
    Also:
    *Your phone/ scratch notebook has so many plots you’ve written in random moments but you never had the chance to write it as a whole story yet.
    *In every movie, you mostly appreciate the writer first. So comments like “such a shame, the story was pretty good” in a bad movie is pretty common for you.

June 1, 2015
  59. Reblogged this on smidgeofink and commented:
    Very, very accurate! I would add that intense analytical skills mean that you literally cannot watch a TV show or film without critiquing it in some way…especially if it is an adaptation of a book!

June 2, 2015
  60. Reblogged this on makeyourvoicesmatter and commented:
    Being a writer..I cant explain myself to people.
    I am always looking for new words and phrases I dont know why but i like to complicate matters.People call me dull and boring…i dont have much friends because i dont see the way things others do..I am a writer.

June 4, 2015
  61. This list is spot on! Lol. One of the things that I would also like to add is that I often write exactly how I speak! I wonder if this is just me…

June 9, 2015
  62. Deep down you know that writing can’t be taught. You either have something to say or you don’t. You either have an aesthetic sensibility or you don’t. You can get it, develop it, cherish it…but that’s another story.

June 24, 2015