6 Stupid Words You Should Drop From Your Vocabulary

You know I have a thing with words. It’s a fault of mine–that being I too often judge people by the words they use.

I’ve written about annoying words and gross words on this blog many times before.

Today, I couldn’t hold back. I just had to dive back into the slimy world of stupid and annoying words yet again.

Here are six of my newest least favorite words.

Open-minded

Example: Joe: “I really prefer to be around more open-minded people.”

Jane: “So you don’t like hanging out with close-minded people?”

Joe: “Exactly.”

I often label myself as “open-minded,” but I’m probably a lot like most of you. We’re only open-minded until we find something to be close-minded about. For me, I’m open-minded except when it comes to Scientology. And anti-vaxxers. And Nazis. And Ann Coulter. And people who say lakes can have beaches. And Florida Gators fans.

But “wait a minute,” you say, “you’re being close-minded about my open-mindedness!” To that, I respond, “You’re not being very open-minded to my close-mindedness!”

Pants

Example: “I put my two legs in my pants. Look at my pants.”

Have you ever thought why we call it a “pair of pants?” It’s one item of clothing. There’s not a pair of anything. We don’t say a “pair of shirts.” Why isn’t it just a “pant?” But that sounds stupid too. Pants is just a stupid word. Did Jerry Seinfeld have a bit about this? I feel like this might be a Seinfeld joke.

Foodie

Example: “Tyler is such a foodie! He ordered the rosemary kale tuna carpaccio yesterday!”

By all intents and purposes, I could be labeled a “foodie.” I love eating out at different restaurants and trying new types of food. I’ll pretty much eat anything at least once.

But let’s talk about the word “foodie”—it’s a stupid, terrible word. Very few words in the English language can be improved by adding an “ie” to the end of them. This is linguistical fact. Examples might include “selfie,” “toesies,” “goodie” and even “tootsie.”

Liberal/Conservative

Example: Internet Guy: “Stupid liberals!”

Other Internet Guy: “Stupid conservatives!”

As a Christian living in the southern United States, I know quite a few self-proclaimed “conservatives.” If we sat down and talked about our views, they’d probably call me a “liberal.” If I ever had the (mis?) fortune of sitting down and chatting with Michael Moore, he’d probably call me a flaming conservative.

See what I’m getting at here? “Liberal” and “Conservative” are stupid labels. The internet guy who says “stupid liberals” is basically saying “stupid morons.” Liberal is actually a word with a meaning—it’s not a massive generalization of an entire group of people who disagree with you. [steps off pedestal]

Bandwidth

Example: “Hey Jenni, what’s your bandwidth for the rest of the day?”

I’m not talking about your internet speed. I’m talking about corporate jargon in reference to one’s availability. Just the other day, I caught myself saying, “Hey Jenni, what’s your bandwidth for the rest of the day?”

Jenni should have slapped me with a iron scimitar. The corporate speak bug has infected me.

Bae

Example: Instagram photo caption: “Me and my bae on a date night at Olive Garden. #lovehim”

“Bae” is typically used in reference to a significant other, whether it be a boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, husband, etc. It’s often used interchangeably with “baby” or “babe” or “sweetie,” etc.

But let’s get real here. According to the Urban Dictionary, “bae” is the Danish word for poop. So, yeah, you just told everyone on Instagram that you love hanging out with your turd.

* * *

I could go on for days about annoying words.

But I’ll save more until next time.

Any of the above annoy you as much as they annoy me? Or do you have your own (least) favorite annoying/stupid word?

1. I think the word bae is stupid too!

April 10, 2015
  2. I learned about pants recently! It has to do with when they used to be tied together as two separate pieces, weird that we kept it.

Liked by 2 people

April 10, 2015
  3. I love the word “tootise” though! I call both my fingers and toes my “little tootsies”!

Liked by 1 person

April 10, 2015
  4. Well you learn something new every day… I did not know of the jargon use of “bandwidth”, may I never encounter someone who uses it and yes, I consider myself open-minded too. Bada boom.

April 10, 2015
  5. It’s the grammar stuff that sends me raving. Even professional journalists are using the word ‘I’ as the object of a preposition: he spoke with ‘him and me’ not with ‘he and I’!

Oh sorry, off topic. I’m gonna go eat foodie with my bae Oh, is that wrong?

6. kankakeeflavor #

Think I am going to add bandwidth to my vocabulary. It could make for a very annoying character.

April 10, 2015
  7. I thought bae was actually BAE, which is urban speak for “before anyone else.” In other words, a modern term of endearment. I’ve never heard it spoken, but I often see it written in texts and on Facebook – where capitalization frequently is abandoned and, before you know it, words are created and become part of everyday conversation.

Also, I think the expression is “for all intents and purposes,” rather than “by all intents and purposes.”

I know, I know …. nit nit nit.

8. 독산 #

Reblogged this on 독산오피〔girlie〕밤전오피방 and commented:
    Good

9. Mom #

Bahahahaha!

April 10, 2015
  10. Transparency…in it’s current popular use, it has become synonymous with “invisible”…quite the opposite of the context in which it is used.

11. Stephen McDaniel #

I like get really annoyed like when people use like the same word like in every sentence. Drives me like insane. Let’s change pants (a foul word) to trousers. Then we don’t have to worry about the oxymoron ‘pair of pants’. The other category that makes me climb walls is the media’s attempt to turn everything into a catastrophe or disaster. Nothing can ever be describe in any terms except superlatives. Nothing that happens could ever be just something that happens – it has to have dire connotations for civilization and human.kind. My final blast is against ‘political correctness’. All junk. See George Carlin’s take on words on You Tube – hilarious and spot on.

Liked by 1 person

April 10, 2015
    • Basically, when I read your comment I basically agreed with you. But I basically think I hear it used more in NYC. But I might be, you know, basically wrong.

12. Caroline Moore #

“Bae” is a terrible word. Half the time people are asking how to pronounce it. It doesn’t sound loving or caring and if people actually looked up bae, they would know it stood for poop. However, I get more frustrated with people who say your instead of you’re. Or weather instead of whether. Just the other day I was looking at Facebook and someone posted, “You know your a nerd when you get this excited about research.” No, you know you’re a nerd when you use “your” and “you’re” appropriately.

April 10, 2015
  13. I’m afraid that here in the UK I’ll have to disagree with ‘conservative’, given that it (and liberal) are the actual names of major political parties. Great list, thank you!

14. 부천 #

Reblogged this on 부천오피『girlie』밤전오피샵 and commented:
    hehe

April 10, 2015
  15. In regards to the first point, I love Richard Dawkins’ quote: “By all means let’s be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.” And I could write a whole blog post about ridiculous corporate speak, ughhhhh I hate it so much!

April 10, 2015
  16. Just have one thing to say about this post. Bazinga.

April 10, 2015
  17. I hate the liberal/conservative thing, too. Most of us are somewhere in the middle.

April 10, 2015
  18. I love post that make me laugh out loud. Your piece about being open-minded is priceless.

April 10, 2015
  19. This is by far one of the funniest posts I’ve read in a while! Keep up the great work 🙆🏻

20. asharw #

Reblogged this on Asha's Hanashi and commented:
    Have you used these words?

April 10, 2015
  21. Bae has to be the stupidest word to hit pop culture in my lifetime. Even more than a pair of pants, which I can accept because of tradition. I have corrected friends that used the word Bae that it means Poop, and sadly, some of them continue to think it’s some sort of cute term of endearment. I think if someone called me a “turd” I would be looking for different company. /end rant

April 11, 2015
  22. Reblogged this on 강서오피∵girlie↔밤전패티쉬 and commented:
    yeah

April 11, 2015
  23. “LAKES CAN HAVE BEACHES!” I shouted, exasperated. Why can’t they? I grew up in Michigan, going to Great Lakes every summer. If you’re standing on sand looking at water why is that not a beach?

“Very few words in the English language can be improved by adding an “ie” to the end of them. This is linguistical fact. Examples might include “selfie,” “toesies,” “goodie” and even “tootsie.”” Yeah.

I appreciate when humans use other humans’ names in order to refer to them. “Hanging out with Craig,” instead of “Hanging out with the hubs/babe/bae” for example. I’ll be alright if I never get referred to as babe for my whole life.

April 11, 2015
  24. 포항 #

Reblogged this on 포항오피『girlie』밤전핸플 and commented:
    Better

April 11, 2015
  25. Nice blog. Just wanted to ask how I can reach you about a review.
    Thanks
    Lysious

April 12, 2015
  26. Beau is the correct word, but most leave off a letter cause they think it’s not necessary. LOL. I hate the words tummy or yummy. Veggies get to me also in a adult conversation. Please eat your vegetables, not your veggies.

April 12, 2015
  27. Ballsy

Why does this word represent courage? How about we coin a new term? Overy-sy?

Ok, now I want some eggs.

Ballsy is a stupid word. The end.

April 12, 2015
  28. Some of those are ridiculous! My personal least favourite word is tummy, can’t explain it, just hate it!

April 12, 2015
  29. Reblogged this on 서초오피「girlie」밤전1인샵 and commented:
    GOOD

April 12, 2015
  30. Reblogged this on blacklightmafia.

April 12, 2015
  31. Very entertaining post! It definitely got me thinking of some other words that could be on this list.

April 13, 2015
  32. I would like to clarify something about open-mindedness.

“Open-minded” just means being open to listening to, and honestly evaluating, claims, new information, and arguments.

A common and very useful piece of advice is to be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brain falls out.

In other words, open-mindedness is a crucial part of skepticism, and I am not convinced that one can be fully intellectually honest without it. Claims must be received and not judged as true or false or good or bad before they have been thoughtfully evaluated. I consider this a useful and even necessary concept. In fact, it is one of the primary concepts responsible for the modern scientific world.

So, I am open-minded to claims from Scientologists, anti-vaxxers, Nazis, and Ann Coulter. It’s just that when I evaluate the claims they make related to Scientology, vaccination, Nazism, and Ann Coulterism (?), I tend to evaluate them as false or poorly supported. However, I am determined to always remain open to new information or arguments which could change that evaluation.

That is how I would define open-mindedness. Of course, some people would prefer to define it as synonymous with “gullibility”, which I consider to be a mistake. Some people also seem to believe that to refrain from passing judgement before critically evaluating a claim is to implicitly support it by treating it seriously. That, too, I see as a mistake. But I’m open-minded and could be swayed from those positions by a solid argument.

One more piece of constructive criticism: The opposite of “open-minded” is “closed-minded”, just as the opposite of “open” is “closed”.

April 13, 2015
  33. Reblogged this on Kuriishu's Diary.

April 18, 2015
  34. Reblogged this on lebronneguggenheim.

May 16, 2015
  35. Farty #

On the home shopping networks they call it a pant. “What a beautiful pant!” Stupid.

February 23, 2016
  36. Aaron #

I agree that these words are stupid and shouldn’t be used……all except for pants.

Yes, “pants” or “a pair of pants” is old terminology that isn’t really descriptive of the clothing anymore….but what alternative is there? I mean, I’ll admit that the word “pants” is a little odd, but to drop it from one’s vocabulary completely? That would be ridiculous.

How would anyone be able to talk about their pants without using the word “pants”? Gesture to one’s crotch and hope people understand you’re referencing your clothing and not your genitalia?

What other term would we use? Jeans? Trousers? Slacks? Britches? Every term to describe the item is plural, it’s the norm.

Everyone calls them pants, you can’t sound stupid for using a term almost literally everyone uses, especially when it’s actually the proper word. But you probably would sound pretty stupid if you just completely stopped using the word everyone else uses.

Go ask a friend where they got “those things” they are wearing on their legs. I really doubt the first thing they’ll think is “wow, this guy sounds so smart” . No, they’ll probably just wonder why you didn’t call them pants like a normal person.

Pants is a stupid word, but it’s a stupid word that you have to use, otherwise you’re the one who ends up sounding stupid. It shouldn’t be on this list.

November 14, 2016
  37. Aaron #

Also, the term “Bae” may mean poop in Danish….but that doesn’t automatically mean anyone who uses it is actually talking about poop.

It’s like you’ve never heard of a word with multiple meanings or a word that means something different in other languages…a “fag” is a term for a cigarette in England, but use it in America and it means something completely different. And those are both countries that actually speak the same language….

I mean, I agree the term is stupid..but not for the same reason you do. Your reason is ridiculous, it’s like saying the word “kiss” is stupid because it also means “pee” in Swedish. The Swedish usage is irrelevant because we are speaking English, which means we go by the English definitions.

So “Bae” does not mean “poop”, because we are not Danish and we are not speaking Danish, it’s that simple.

The term Bae is supposed to be an acronym for “before all else”, and I guarantee there is an urban dictionary post that states this, although I’m sure you ignored it so you could make your silly argument more relevant.

November 14, 2016