The Wake-Up Times Of Famous Authors

You might remember my tirade against morning people a few months ago?

Okay, so it wasn’t really a tirade against anyone—the post was more of a defense of night owls. We’ve been taking a beating the last few years while the trend to praise the morning person as the model of success has gone into overdrive.

As a night owl, I got tired of hearing that I was a slacker, even though I bust my butt getting stuff done after 8 p.m. So I wrote that post.

Then, a few weeks ago, I saw this infographic—which beautifully illustrates everything I tried to articulate in that post.

My point isn’t that night owls are inherently more successful, even though many morning people will tell you their way is the only way. My point was that you shouldn’t feel the need to change into a morning person.

We’re all wired differently. We all think more clearly and are more productive at different hours of the day. Why should I force myself to wake up at 5 a.m if I waste an hour of time just trying to clear my mind—when, if I try and do the same amount of work at 8 p.m., I can sit down and get started right away?

This infographic (created by Maria Papova at Brain Pickings) shows that, in the world of famous writers, success isn’t guided by who wakes up first. All of these authors generally woke up at different times (as late as noon!) with varying degrees of productivity.

The infographic shows the correlation between these authors’ wake-up times and their productivity over their careers. Night owl authors produced more books over their career, but morning people authors won more awards.

To me, this just reinforces that there’s no formula, no better way to be productive, no matter what you hear from the early risers. Sure, they’re successful, but we’re successful too.

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ZOOM IN

sleepproductivitywriters_500_1

(Image: Brain Pickings)

1. bba #

You’ve built quite a straw man out of the early riser admiration society. Where has all of this early riser’s are better stuff been discussed? I’ve completely missed it (but maybe that’s b/c I get up at 5:30am everyday for a 3 mile walk with the dog and come home to be so productive random internet reading just slips past me).

February 10, 2014
    • I think your productivity has caused you to miss it. No straw man here. Maybe it’s a niche, but judging by the popularity of my first post and the discussion on it, a lot of people feel like I do. Check out the links within that article. Those were just samples. This wake up early propaganda is like Dale Carnegie on crack.

February 10, 2014
      • You are right, the propaganda is everywhere. I’m an early riser but I’ve always envied those who could be productive later in the evening. My brain just turns to mush somewhere around 7pm. “Early to bed and early to rise, makes a ‘man’ healthy, wealthy and wise”… just for starters! I’m not particularly any of those! Thx.

• hornykitten #

Me too! I am so envious of people who can stay awake and alert after midnight (& desperately wish that was me).

Rising early has its benefits (in terms of waking up before anybody else does), but being able to work later than everybody else can also have the same benefits. After all, a lot of what they say is effectively time-shifting – go to sleep at 9PM so you can wake up at 4AM – so I’m not sure if it really makes that much of a difference. The one point the ‘earlyists’ have in their favour is that society as a whole is generally structured to suit the early riser. Still, I’m not sure how great an advantage that really gives them/us(I’m one of them!).

February 14, 2014
      • You found the ones that rise– but when do they go for a rest? I go to bed roughly at 2 AM (Night owl– I go lay down when I am tired and cannot concentrate, I don’t push it.) but I wake up around 5-6 (early riser) and start the computer – word processor first– about a half-hour after that. Not to say I don’t surf and read (a lot!) on the daily events. I don’t *write* the whole of the time. Often, I hunt down my friends and make observations on humanity to their great humor. Cook breakfast. Urinate off the balcony. (42nd floor) THEN I go write. Still. I am awake.

(Kidding on the balcony thing.)

• Lion Man!

• Not tin man

February 21, 2014
  2. J.R.Barker #

I’m more of an evening owl than a night owl.

3. sally1137 #

I’m an insomniac, and when i worked in downtown St. Louis, I got up at 4a.m. So I could make it across the mississippi river before 6:15, which is when the traffic go heavy. I never got any sleep.

Now i make my own hours and am often up until 4, knitting until ole Morpheus can be persuaded to smack me in the head with a hammer. I usually get up between 7 and 8:30.

I was a night owl peg trying to fit in a morning person hole.

Liked by 1 person

February 10, 2014
  4. I can’t decide which one I belong too. I love getting up early and being productive, but my steam always runs out in the afternoon. But I get SO MUCH done when I sit down and write at night. So, bottom line, I’m still undecided!

Liked by 1 person

February 10, 2014
    • More proof that there’s really no formula to be successful. Everyone is wired differently.

Liked by 1 person

February 10, 2014
      • I completely agree with this, the feeling of a productive early morning definitely pushes me to continue with the productivity, but my mind tends to focus on another level when it’s late at night. Everybody is different, success can’t be pinned down.

February 12, 2014
  5. It is great that you posted this. In terms of writers, I know that many go through phases where they try to replicate the schedules of their favorite authors in their own daily lives, in the hopes to enhance their work productivity and quality. They eventually, or typically, realize that their best selling tool is themselves. It is comical to observe, as well as look back on these journeys.

February 10, 2014
  6. Not all morning persons are smug about it. I have a hard time staying up past midnight, even if I’m going out and constantly doing things. And regardless of how hard I try to stay up late, I’m up before the sun rises the next day.

Sure, the early-to-rise thing is nice but the early-to-bed thing is just sad and embarrassing when you’re in your 20’s, trying to go out and have fun, and you end up falling asleep on someone’s couch because it’s so cozy and it’s already eleven!

February 10, 2014
    • I agree. Most morning people aren’t smug, but it’s the vocal minority that irks me. And, sadly, a lot of that minority have huge platforms to basically say that night owls are slackers.

February 10, 2014
      • All of the most productive and awesome people I know are hardcore night people because they work the night shift at hospitals. There’s not really a good defense against such a silly, judgmental thing and you should *have* to defend yourself. They’re probably just jealous!

February 10, 2014
  7. Up now, will give this a read Robert. Have a great day ;D.

February 10, 2014
  8. I’m sensing a complex. Or as Brother Billy put it, “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

February 10, 2014
    • I don’t know, Greg. I think night owls need to unionize. I am the voice of the people!

9. Champagne for the merciless #

Maria Popova, you rock girl #Bulgarian power:)

February 10, 2014
  10. I find this very reassuring. My natural wake-up time falls somewhere between Ray Bradbury and Simone de Beauvoir!

I tend to be productive in spurts. I like working really hard 2-3 days at a time and then slacking off for 1-2 days. I guess that means I’m not really a morning or an evening person, huh?

February 10, 2014
  11. I think that for many of us, age is a factor. If anyone had told me 20 years ago that I would someday be a “morning person,” I would have just laughed in their face. But it can happen.

February 10, 2014
  12. Personally, I’ve always valued productivity over awards. And now I would like to pull out the old saw of statisticians everywhere: correlation does not necessarily imply causation.
    😀

February 10, 2014
  13. I don’t think it is when you write during the day. But I do believe that a daily writing practice is extremely helpful.

February 11, 2014
  14. An often overseen masterpiece about exactly that very topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MMDugt8ZRk. Besides: With me the whole thing is pretty complicated — I change from night-owl to morning-maniac within the seasons … But I guess in terms of writing the magic happens rather from late afternoon to night …

February 11, 2014
  15. 5e5emott5e5emott #

Reblogged this on Mott the Hoople and commented:
    Yea to the night owls!

February 12, 2014
  16. This is something I have struggled and struggled with especially with my husband. He keeps trying to make me a morning person and its not going to happen. Part of my problem is being bipolar and with that my time clock is flipped and always has been which is typical of this disorder. I do have a full-time day job and I can say without a doubt I am most productive after noon when at work and most creative in my arts at night. I can be up till the wee hours of the morning because things just overflow out of my head during those hours. I have a teenage son the same way. We finally pulled him out of main stream school and have him home schooled. He does his online classes starting about 1am and does way more work and makes way better grades now than he ever did in public school during daytime hours. I think it doesn’t matter personally, You just have to recognize which one you are, embrace it and find a way to make it work for YOU. Because at the end of the day you, yourself are the only one responsible for how much you create and the success of those creations. One is no better than the other, just different which is perfectly acceptable.

February 12, 2014
  17. This is great! Early risers love to lecture me on the detriments of being a night owl. To each his own, I always respond. The beauty in life is that is varied in every way.

18. Reblogged this on MIB BLOG and commented:
    Early Risers Vs. Night Owls: Which Ones Are More Successful Writers?

February 12, 2014
  19. I avoid the debate by writing at noon. Lunch breaks are the golden hour.

February 12, 2014
  20. I’m thinking I should embrace the nightowl in me because mornings are so painful

February 12, 2014
  21. I seriously LOVE this infographic. Thanks for sharing! As a morning person myself, I’ve always felt like such a dork! I can’t help the fact that I work better in the morning, and I always hated having to be a party pooper because I wanted to be to sleep by 10. I think any self-righteousness probably comes from a place of jealousy for your ability to stay awake. I’ll let you all sleep in if you don’t make fun of my early bedtime. Deal?

February 12, 2014
  22. This is great! The phrase “whatever works” comes to mind.

February 12, 2014
  23. Love the graphic—thanks for sharing it. My partner is an extreme night owl, which has dragged my moderate night-owl-ness in her direction, and makes it harder for me to wake up in the morning.

It is a challenge to find our most productive times of day. Writing during my daughter’s late morning nap is what’s working for me right now.

February 12, 2014
  24. It might be most important if the writer is simply awake (as in the Buddhist sense).

February 12, 2014
  25. I wake up at 7 most mornings, but I get most work done in the evening. I’m pretty sure that’s because I’m wired to my school schedule, which usually takes priority. However, I don’t think there’s any correlation between wake-up times and success. Everyone’s different. Just a fact of life.

February 12, 2014
  26. Hey Guys, Can you please check out my blog? I’m trying to spread the idea of teenage depression, first handed. I would really appreciate a follow, a like, a reblog… anything! Thank you so much.http://tiffanyjay43.wordpress.com

27. nerdycanuck #

Reblogged this on OreosandSpiltmilk and commented:
    A post on Writing and Productivity, (“The Wake-Up Times Of Famous Authors”)..so creative, I really enjoyed this post and hope you do as well..

28. nerdycanuck #

I find that writing in the evening helps me de-stress and even helps me sleep, it doesn’t matter what I ‘am writing. It’s like working out at the gym for some people, if I don’t write something every night.. I notice it the next day. A free sedative.

February 12, 2014
  29. Well said, I am in between myself, can be an early riser most days and on occasion a night owl. I think when that idea to write hits no matter what time of day you just let it out, time no bar :p

February 12, 2014
  30. The world is run by early risers blessed with the correct hormone release at daybreak. But for insomniacs they would all have been eaten by sabre toothed tigers thousands of years ago.

February 12, 2014
  31. The most successful writers are the ones who wake up every day, no matter what that time may be, happy to be a writer. You can’t concoct a formula for it but when you figure it out, it’s freakin’ priceless.

32. Beautiful picture, I’m both whatever I decide that day. Kristy4214

February 12, 2014
  33. Have you heard the wise old saying, “The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese?” I do get up early at this point in my life because I have 2 small children who wake early, but as far as life in general goes, I enjoy being the second mouse!

February 12, 2014
  34. It is the early worm which gets caught!

February 12, 2014
  35. Doesn’t make any difference when you write – just write! AND write often.

donnaodonnellfigurski.wordpress.com

36. it can makes my eyes good

37. John A. Passaro #

Productivity come at all hours. The key is to be productive when the wave comes.

38. Nice picture… 😉

February 12, 2014
  39. I would have to say night owls, because everything is calm and the long day is over, your thoughts come in like popcorn but you write them carefully as though you were tip toing through the night.

February 12, 2014
  40. I can’t figure my category!
    To be successful you don,t have to follow set of instructions…

41. incaunipocrit #

Reblogged this on The International Blogspaper.

42. Reblogged this on aadela and commented:
    An intriguing view..

February 13, 2014
  43. Reblogged this on ldbush21.

February 13, 2014
  44. I hate the fact that I’m a morning person, I’m awake at 4:30am everyday. I blame a hippy house mate from many moons ago who would wake to greet the sun, on our tin roof and making such noise that I would wake, cursing his pot smoking, lentil eating existence. Eventually I figured that I may as well join him and started greeting the cursed sun with him. Dumbest thing I’ve ever done. Well maybe not the dumbest, but it’s up there. Anyway I’m heading over to Ireland from my home here in Australia and my desire is that the mind crushing jet lag will shock my body clock into becoming the night owl I once was.. Personally I think anyone who claims to enjoy waking at these ungodly hours is either a liar or mentally unstable, or both.

45. Reblogged this on humanatize and commented:
    Lovely

February 13, 2014
  46. I often wake up early morning with ideas, which need to be written down before the day engulfs them. I think that’s why I write my best around 5 a.m.

47. Reblogged this on ary2412 and commented:
    Waww

48. hope early risers….

49. Night Owls. Jesus worked well in the dark 😉 Around 5 am

50. The Wake-Up Times Of Famous Authors

February 13, 2014
  51. I used to be an early riser, now I’m a night owl. Here in Sicily we say…chi dorme non piglia pesci:)

52. Reblogged this on The imperious introvert life and commented:
    Introverts are usually night owls

February 13, 2014
  53. Reblogged this on golfing eagle.

54. Nice

55. scottprestonblog #

I don’t get it. The only late riser was Bukowski and that was probably always the day after. I don’t think there really is such a distinction between night owls and… normal people. Just people that want to leave the house and people that live alone. I seriously doubt anyone is hardwired to be any particular way – if you get a healthy amount of sleep and are otherwise healthy you should feel fine whenever you wake up.

56. saramcknight #

The most intelligent people (as far as IQs go, which is the only quantifiable measure we currently have, unfortunately) often tend to be night owls.

February 13, 2014
  57. I still live by “It’s not the early bird that catches the worm, it’s the one that hangs around from then night before.”

February 13, 2014
  58. I can’t do mornings at all. I’m pretty much dead until 10am. I probably peak around 8 or 9PM.

59. Interesting stuff, I am for sure of the night owl variety

February 14, 2014
  60. I used to be a night owl. Now I have toddlers and I am in limbo….I don’t know what I am anymore. This morning I’ve been up since 3:30….does that mean I’m a morning person now. Either way, I’m not nearly as productive as I need to be.

61. nice picture, hello NIGHT OWLS

62. nice picture, hello NIGHT OWLS

63. Reblogged this on OVMportin and commented:
    night owl

64. arisetayo #

Reblogged this on tayoobayoriju.

February 14, 2014
  65. I was used to being an evening person. Now I’m a morning person. I sometimes go to bed already at 19:30. Then get up at 7:30 in the morning. But, I noticed that I tend to get things done during night time instead. But, I can no longer go to bed late 😦

66. thelifeofababybuddha #

Thank you for this post. There are many times I’ve tried to do what other writers do and write in the morning or according to a schedule and it has never worked for me. I’m a huge night owl and that’s when my writing is at its best so I shall embrace that a bit more. Lisa 🙂

February 14, 2014
  67. I don’t perceive any great siege mentality. I think the prevailing attitude is “to each his own.” I don’t write much at night, but the Boston Red Sox have a lot to do with it. I’ve just evolved into a familiar pattern over time. Typically, I get up, have coffee, ponder what lies ahead and then do some sort of writing — an email, or a blog — mainly to warm up. Then I chip away at fiction. At some point, I have breakfast. At mid-afternoon, I attend to various errands — post office, trash dump, supermarket, et al. I take a book along and have supper out. At night, I read, play music, watch TV, or half-watch TV while I read.
    It just works for me, and if it gets old, I’ll change it, or, more likely, evolve some more.

February 14, 2014
  68. Hi,tell me more about night v daytime early bloggers please…I’m new to Blogging

Joseph

Persoonal trainer, motivational speaker and coach

February 14, 2014
  69. Mornings are just not my thing. I am happier to write at night. But I have been known to stay awake for 38 hours sometimes. Interestingly, an amazing burst of new energy arrives late on the second afternoon, when fresh ideas suddenly start to flow through, and something happens which is beyond ego. But I don’t even care any more, so long as the work gets done well. For me, sleep deprivation works beautifully for anything creative, but not for editing!

February 14, 2014
  70. Reblogged this on ahmadrmahfooz.

February 14, 2014
  71. Couldn’t get this blog post to open.

February 14, 2014
  72. I call it doing the late shift. Who wants worms, anyway?

February 15, 2014
  73. betternotbroken #

Loved your commentary, however I did not take it as a serious scientific investigation but more as a topic of conversation with a slight tongue in cheek tone. Not that anyone asked but I am both. While I am usually a night owl sometimes I rise early with a lot to say, I hope that means someday I will be both prolific and have many awards in the meantime I just write when I can and when it flows.

February 15, 2014
  74. I myself am I total night owl and my peak productivity for writing is around 10:00, editing is usually around 12:30, but that has to do with my work schedule mostly. I think for some figures in the infographic about wake up times, you may also have to consider the “hangover factor” for a few of the later risers.

–Morgan Howland

February 15, 2014
  75. Hooray! I feel vindicated. I am a hooty hoot owl. Have been for most of my adult life, thanks to shift work, etc. I do my best after 8 p.m. and before noon. I don’t do mornings…well, not very nicely.

February 16, 2014
  76. I’m an early bird definitely. Ian x

February 16, 2014
  77. I create my best work at night. In the mornings my thoughts are foggy, and I need clarity to put words together…and lots of coffee. 🙂

February 17, 2014
  78. My whole life my mom has called me a night owl. I have always found it easier to do what I need to do at night because I feel as if there is no one judging me and there is no UN-wanted opinions to be made on what I am doing and how I am doing it after the sun goes down.
    I give the utmost respect to you for proving that night owls aren’t what early risers think they are.

February 17, 2014
  79. Reblogged this on THE ROCK OF KNOWLEGE's Blog.

February 19, 2014
  80. Great post authors need that time slot perhaps but even though I prefer early mornings best
    Admired your post though.
    Regards

February 19, 2014
  81. Reblogged this on jovilipaning.

February 19, 2014
  82. Hmmmm good question. I love waking up early. Sometimes you really think its just you and God and the conversation !!!

Diamond

February 19, 2014
  83. Am I weird? My wife needed to be in work early as she finished around three to be home to collect the kids from school, so she got up at 6:00 – 6:30ish, and left for work when she was ready around an hour later. Then when the kids grew up, she came home with a Border Collie Puppy, and now takes the dog for an early morning walk around 5:30 – 6am, and then leaves for work about an hour after getting back kissing me on her way out, while I come to. I occasionally watch the Keiser Report and RT, while reading a chapter or three from a book, absorbing and retaining more of that information.

Before she goes off to work, she occasionally slams around the bed-room in an effort to wake me up, but as the old saying goes, I can sleep on a washing line (The expression dates back to Georgian or Victorian England, apparently when people had “A penny hang” which meant sleeping standing up, with arms draped over a rope hung across a crowded room for one old English penny).

After some discussion (somewhat heated) we agreed she could disturb me after her dog-walking was over. Of course by 10:30pm she is half-asleep and heading for the hills, after kissing me goodnight, while I pick up the lap-top and read my e-mailsthat arrive from the U.S. at the end of the day (or type this post). I also occasionally write until the early hours undressing in the bathroom, and tip-toeing into the bedroom, and falling over something in the dark.

So, I can be awake (OK, half awake) from before 7am, until one or one-thirty the next morning, and yet I can also sleep in until nine or later at the week-end – My wife still gets up at daft o’clock to walk the dog. but the venom that can occasionally greet me as my wife leaves for work, and I am still barely awake, or worse is sometimes hard to accept…

I know Jeffrey Archer is an early bird, but I also love the American artist – Edward Hopper, who captured some atmospheric night-time scenes famously of diners, and such-like. Did that make him a night-owl?

But does my writing feel early bird, or night-owl… (You tell me?)

W.

February 19, 2014
  84. very well work done…keep going…i liked it…its nice…as am a new blogger in this world and i wrote just 1 blog (story) (http://mindtechnorms.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/when-god-granted-tittus-to-go-to-earth-for-1-day-part-i/) and unable to find my viewer as like you, can u please help me by reading my 1st blog what wrong with my writing…is really something wrong with my writing or am just expecting too early…your helpful comments will really inspire me… and please follow me…

February 20, 2014
  85. elliott001 #

I find a write better in the evening. I feel more relaxed if I have gotten everything out of the way during the day. I can then block out all noise, retreat into my head and write something!

Visit New Gen Journo for unbiased opinions on everything

February 21, 2014
  86. I am both, I think. At times I like doing stuffs at night, (like writing). Sometimes, I just suddenly wake up at dawn, and wanting to write what pops -ups in my mind while in deep sleep. Kind of weird though but true.

February 24, 2014
  87. Reblogged this on rizoalex.

February 24, 2014
  88. toxicmascara #

Reblogged this on toxicmascara.

February 27, 2014
  89. VIAJAR FAZ BEM A SAÚDE!

March 13, 2014
  90. VAMOS JUNTOS!

March 13, 2014
  91. Reblogged this on Conhecendo o Mundo!.

March 13, 2014
  92. I think that people are different and that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. I’ve interpreted, from reading here that there are times in which the mind is more susceptible for creativity. What do you think?

March 16, 2014
  93. Good point! I’m a night-owl myself. People tend to forget that being an early riser doesn’t mean success. Ask the garbage collectors, milkmen, meat workers and street sweepers how successful they feel just because they get up at 4 a.m.

August 20, 2014