20 Questions: Volume 1
You ever had an idea that sounded good in your head, and as soon as you put it out there in the public—maybe to just a friend or your spouse—you suddenly realize, Wow. That is just a terrible, awful, horrendous idea.
Ever had that happen?
Well, I’m hoping today isn’t one of those ideas for me. But I’m all in!
So here’s the deal, a few weeks ago, I published a post that was basically a bunch of my random thoughts from different things related to the first 40ish books I’ve read from the Time list. If you read the post, you know it was just a bunch of quick hit, short and sweet statements.
But I also included a bunch of questions in there—which eventually inspired what I’m doing today—simply asking a bunch of questions of which I don’t know the answer or am interested in your thoughts. Humor me.
Some of these questions are rhetorical. Some are direct.
If successful enough, I think I’ll turn it into a series like Your Search Questions Answered. And the cool thing about just making a post with a bunch of questions is that I can “field test” future content for the blog. The questions, and the quality and quantity of your answers, will help me find good topics to explore further.
So that’s today—the first edition/volume/part/installment of Twenty Questions here at 101 Books.
- Who’s whinier: Holden Caulifield or Scarlett O Hara?
- Do you think it will ever be possible to make digital books emit a book fragrance—kind of like traditional paper?
- If you could have a beer, or a glass of wine, or an orange juice, with one author, whom would it be?
- Does anyone write in cursive anymore? Do they even teach that in schools?
- Why are so many of these novels depressing? By “so many,” I mean 99% of them.
- You can read one style of writing the rest of your life…either Woolf or Hemingway. Which one do you choose?
- If you could punch one literary character, who would it be?
- The worst ever movie adaptation of a successful novel?
- If The Judge from Blood Meridian approached me on a street, how long before I pee my pants?
- Napoleon from Animal Farm—tastier as bacon, ham, or maybe a barbecue sandwich?
- If the moon was made of spare ribs, would you eat it?
- What is the fascination with Ayn Rand? Someone? Anyone?
- Beer pong: Who you got: Hemingway or Malcolm Lowry?
- How bad would it suck to be David Foster Wallace’s editor?
- On a related note, how cool would it be to be David Foster Wallace’s editor?
- You can only speak one word, one time, the rest of your life…what would it be?
- Stupider protagonist: Bigger Thomas (Native Son) or Clyde Griffiths (An American Tragedy)?
- What’s the most frequently spilled liquid on your books?
- Who do you think is the most overrated author (now or in the past)?
- What are you currently reading?
Now, this only works if you chime in with your thoughts. Otherwise, it’s just me asking questions to me with a bunch of people looking on—and that just gets confusing and embarrassing.
So pick a question, any question, or pick multiple questions. And let’s talk books!